Steak, Snap Pea and Asparagus Meal Salad
• 2 cups of snap peas
• 1 cup asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch (5 cm) pieces
• 1 cup shredded Brussels sprouts
• 1 lb strip loin steak, 1 1/2 to 2 in (3.5 to 5 cm) thick
• 1 table spoon of olive oil
• 2 cups arugula or watercress
• 2 Lebanese cucumbers, thinly sliced lengthwise
• 1 cup of fresh herbs and microgreens (dill, cilantro, blood sorrel, etc.)
• Basil vinaigrette (see recipe)
• Fleur de sel and pepper Basil vinaigrette
1/2 cup fresh basil, 1/3 cup fresh Italian parsley, 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar, 1 tbsp whole grain mustard, 1 tbsp maple syrup, 1/3 cup olive oil, salt and pepper
In a blender, blend the basil, parsley, balsamic vinegar, mustard and maple syrup until the herbs are finely chopped. Drizzle in the olive oil in a thin stream, stirring until the dressing is smooth. Salt and pepper. (The dressing will keep up to 3 days in the refrigerator.) Makes about 3/4 cup (180 ml).
1. In a large pot of salted boiling water, blanch the sugar snap peas and asparagus for 2 minutes. Add the Brussels sprout leaves and continue cooking for 1 minute or until the vegetables are tender but still slightly crunchy. Drain the vegetables and plunge them into a large bowl of ice water to cool them. Drain again and pat dry. Cut the snap peas in half, if desired. To book.
2. Salt and pepper the steak. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add steak and cook 6 to 8 minutes for rare or until desired doneness (flip halfway through cooking). Place the steak loosely on a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing against the grain of the meat.
3. Place the arugula on a large serving platter or on a board. Arrange the steak slices, reserved vegetables, cucumbers and herbs on top. Drizzle with vinaigrette and sprinkle with fleur de sel. Pepper